What is iPage?
Founded in 1998, iPage is a web hosting company that was acquired by Endurance International Group (EIG) in 2009. The company is headquartered in Burlington, Massachusetts.
Latest Best Online Deals Grab NOW 2019:
iPage is not particularly fast or reliable, their features can be confusing, and their customer service isn’t world class. But that said, they are incredibly cheap. At $1.99/month for their most basic plan (for the first 12 months), it is hard to complain too much about any deficiencies in service. We would almost always recommend paying a bit more for better a better product, but if your budget is super tight, then iPage may just be the host you need. Just be prepared to manage your expectations.
iPage is a full-service domain and web hosting provider targeting smaller businesses who want to jump into the e-commerce arena. It is owned by Endurance International Group, a conglomerate that owns top internet firms like Bluehost, HostGator, and Constant Contact.
In addition to offering users unlimited disk space, a free domain name, and an unlimited number of email addresses, iPage has numerous features that help you quickly and easily develop your site. You can choose from hundreds of pre-built website templates and themes. You can opt to use their mobile-optimized website builder.
Another feature appealing to small business owners is the ability to quickly implement e-commerce add-ons, such as shopping carts and PayPal integration. iPage integrates well with any of the commonly used Content Management Systems (CMS), such as WordPress, Drupal, and Magento.
Contacting iPage’s customer service team is easy using their online ticketing system or 24/7 chat and phone availability. If you’re not satisfied with the services you receive, HostGator offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
TRY IPAGE. GET STARTED NOW
Today iPage is one of many providers owned and run by the Endurance International Group (EIG). The team that leads iPage today are industry leaders. iPage is now one of the most-recognized web hosting brands, currently hosting more than one million sites.
iPage focuses on three major aspects that customers care about:
GREEN WEB HOSTING
iPage is a firm believer in the use of green energy. The company buys sufficient Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) to offset all energy used by their servers, in their headquarters, and by their data centers.
Surprisingly, the purchase is enough to offset usage by 200%. So the wind energy more than covers all usage with plenty left over.
Businesses who choose to have their sites hosted through iPage also benefit in knowing they’re doing something good for the environment:
- The amount of energy that’s offset is equivalent to planting more than 244 acres of new trees.
- More than three million kWh of wind energy is fed back into the power grid over a two-year period.
All companies that host sites with iPage can include a Green Badge on their site. Visitors simply click the badge and then they’ll see that you’re doing something positive about your carbon emissions, a selling point.
iPage hosting contains many features which set the hosting provider apart from competitors. Below is an outline
- Free domain name
- Unlimited Emails
- Unlimited disk space
- 100% powered by wind energy
- Free site-building tools including templates
- Daily malware and spam scans
- Scalable bandwidth
- Unlimited domains
- Unlimited MySQL databases.
- Easy installation of apps such as b2evolution and WordPress.
- 99.99% uptime guarantee.
This feature includes thorough testing functionality so you can test before sending. Spam management is also included: No more need to delete tons of spam each day. Each individual mailbox, however, has a maximum storage capacity of 500MB or 10,000 email messages (whichever comes first).
UNLIMITED DISK SPACE
as long as your usage falls under what iPage considers to be “normal operation of your iPage website” — some users with tens of thousands of files, however, were forced by iPage to consolidate their files).
Users, however, should note that iPage makes it easy for you to set up your first few sites. Afterward, the process becomes increasinglysuch, if you need more than a handful of sites, your better off with a reseller host plan or similar.
For most users, you will get what iPage considers unlimited bandwidth, though some power users may be “encouraged” by iPage to upgrade from a shared plan to a VPS plan.
- 24/7 monitoring so problems can be detected and fixed fast
- Nightly backups and restores
- Access to website error logs
- Power supply backups
- State of the art encryption
- Human monitoring of threats
Each machine has an identical machine that kicks in seamlessly if the first machine crashes for any reason. The units are also backed up to other sets of units that contain a mirror copy of your data in case the primary units’ disc fails.
SiteLock is an extra form of security. With this system, you can activate malware scans to protect your visitors from viruses and other problems. Verify your domain so your visitors will know your site is legitimate and not merely another phishing scam.
- Post a security badge so your visitors will see your site is regularly tested
- Access the pooled structure that provides better speed than competitors
IPAGE WEBSITE BUILDER
iPage’s primary purpose is to provide you with the web hosting you need to get your site up and running on the internet. However, if you do not already have a website, you can easily build one using the iPage Website Builder. If you purchase an iPage hosting plan, it comes with the free version of the iPage Website Builder. With this version, you can build up to six pages for your website. Upgrading to the Professional or Business versions gets you extra features. Features include:
- An easy-to-use drag-and-drop editor
- Beautiful themes to help you get started
- Modular design for ease-of-use
- Support for HD video (Premium)
- Version control (Premium)
- Analytics (Premium)
- E-commerce functionality (Premium)
- Full checkout processing (Premium)
- Support for coupon codes (Premium).
SITE BUILDER COMPARISON: IPAGE VS. WEEBLY
If you have ever used Weebly, you will find that the iPage Website Builder is very similar. However, Weebly’s dedicated niche is the all-in-one website builder, so you might prefer its product over iPage’s, especially if you do not already have a website. Though iPage’s option is good, we would say that Weebly’s offers more, especially if you need more than a basic website.
Weebly’s site-building functionality is more robust than iPage’s, but if what you are looking for is robust web hosting, iPage is the better option for you. Weebly limits you in terms of web hosting options, whereas iPage offers different types of web hosting. If you ever see traffic spikes, you can scale up with iPage, whereas you might see an outage with Weebly.
|Storage||Unlimited||Unlimited on Paid Plans|
|Support||24-7||12 Hours (Weekdays), 9 Hours (Weekends)|
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO)
For small business owners, getting traffic to your website is extremely important. However, just putting up your website isn’t enough to ensure that people will find it. That’s why search engine optimization (SEO) is so important.
What SEO boils down to is getting your website to the front page of search engine results when people search for keywords relevant to your website. (And yes, it is important to be on the front page and even better to be at the top of the front page — when was the last time you looked at the second page of your search results?)
OPTIONAL SEO PACKAGES
To help with this, iPage offers its customers optional SEO packages.
This package gives you access to a dedicated team of iPage SEO experts who will:
- Write search engine-friendly content for your website
- Edit and manage your links as appropriate
- Track your website’s performance over time
- Plan actions to boost your website’s SEO performance.
MEASURING SEO SUCCESS
iPage’s SEO option, however, is on the more expensive side (especially for small businesses on a learn marketing/web development budget) and the rates are assessed on a monthly basis.
However, getting more traffic to your site, which can increase your business’ bottom line, may more than offset the cost of professional SEO assistance.
Consider in advance how you will measure SEO success and ROMI (Return on Marketing Investment) and discuss this with your iPage representative.
HOSTING TYPES AND PLANS
iPage has various plans on offer to meet your hosting needs. Which plan you choose will depend on the individual needs and requirements of your business.
This plan is designed to do everything that most individuals and small businesses need and that includes:
- Free domain name
- Free site builder and templates to help with a fast set up of your site
- Personalized email addresses
- Plenty of marketing credits to get you going
- 1-click installation of apps, blog software, photo galleries and much more
- 24/7 support via phone, live chat, email tickets, a knowledgebase, and tutorials
- Online store facilities including shopping carts, PayPal integration, coupons and more
- 1 GB of Cloud storage so you can access material from anywhere.
There are three plans to choose from.
You get all the goodies from the Essential plan and a lot more.
It’s the dedicated server you want, without having to pay the higher rates.
If you expect a high level of traffic, you might want to go straight to purchasing a VPS hosting plan. Though iPage brands its shared plans as offering unlimited bandwidth, there have been instances where they “strongly encouraged” their users to get off a shared plan and on to a VPS plan.
There are three plans.
You get your own server and can choose to manage it yourself or have an iPage expert manage it for you.
These plans come with all the benefits of the Essential and VPS plans and loads more.
- vDeck control panel is included
- Nearly 100% control over all aspects of your hosting plan
- Optional root access
- Maximum site performance that’s unhindered by other users.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND HELP
- 24/7/365 support via phone, email and live chat
- Helpful tutorials
- Large knowledge base
- No waiting time in Live Chat
- Calls usually answered in less than two minutes
- Emails are answered within two hours
- All support staff receives extensive Quality Assessment to ensure they know what they’re doing.
One of the best features available to iPage customers is the company’s guarantees. Each customer is given the following assurances upon joining.
- 30-day money-back guarantee minus domain costs
- 99.9% uptime guarantee.
Meanwhile, there are a number of additional bonuses and features available to iPage customers. These include the following features.
- $100 for Google AdWords
- $25 for Bing/Yahoo! ads
- $50 for Facebook ads
- Free listing on
- Free marketing and search engine credits
- A site authentication seal
- Domain Privacy
WHAT IS DOMAIN PRIVACY?
When purchasing a domain name, your personal information (including name, physical address, email address, phone number, and so on) are published in a public-accessible directory. If you want to hide this information, you can do so by purchasing domain privacy. This is a good option, especially for small business owners who are using a personal account to purchase their hosting plan and domain name. You may want only a professional address (or even no address) associated with your website.
PROS AND CONS
So is web hosting from iPage any good?
- Really cheap pricing.
- Host unlimited sites on your one account.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Instant activation of your account once it’s paid for and registered.
- Unlimited storage, bandwidth, and MySQL databases.
- Unlimited domains.
- Free site building tools to help even the newest of members.
- Free shopping cart and online store.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- After the initial term, the renewal price is higher than that of many competitors.
- Statistics aren’t broken down into individual sites.
- When you log in, sometimes there is upselling.
- Domain price is higher than usual after the first year.
- Site building functionality is limited unless you upgrade to one of the more expensive plans.
iPage is a reputable hosting provider with a solid history of performance and cheap pricing. If you’re considering a hosting site, iPage is definitely worth a look. However and as with any web host you consider signing up with, ask lots of questions before committing to any hosting provider.